Be a Leader of Your thoughts - the Choice is Yours :)

Welcome Friends!


Do not follow...Lead with your own thoughts :)

Sharing opens up channels of communication. Each one of us is unique and has a unique perspective to share, and I heartily welcome all perspectives. It opens up my thoughts even further. So welcome friends into my blogging world, read on, ask questions, share your own thoughts and be a friend :)


Meet me!

Meet me!
Umang Goel
Powered By Blogger

Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, May 31, 2010

LIFE IS PRECIOUS. LIVE IT.

Three women cancer patients I have been grateful to have known – all teaching the same lesson: LIFE IS PRECIOUS. LIVE IT.
Since yesterday, when I became aware that an acquaintance who had been suffering from cancer passed away, I have been thinking I am so blessed to have known her. I was also reminded of 2 other women who suffered from cancer and passed away. I have been fortunate to have known all these three strong and wonderfully positive women.
Lynne Sohn was the mother of my son’s friend in elementary school. I knew her as an active member in the elementary school, always with a ready smile. As the children grew up, and went off to different schools, I met her occasionally as we shopped at the same grocery store. She was still smiling. Early 2008, I found out that she had cancer which had spread; also that she had an email distribution list of her friends who she kept informed of her condition on a weekly basis. I requested to be on that list. I am very glad that she added me. As her condition worsened, we could not tell how long she would survive. But her timely weekly emails left me surprised each time. She was always cheerful, always brave, always accepting of her condition, and most of all always cheering others! Whether it was her chemotherapy or any other procedure done to manage her condition, she never once complained. Each letter threw me further into wonderment of how strong and courageous this woman was. I used to respond to her emails from time to time letting her know how fortunate we were to know a woman like her. Her emails always ended with a line from the Bible, which made me read it again and again. I was further amazed at when her conditioned deteriorated even further this year, and when a family member took over writing emails on her behalf, she wanted to participate in the preparations of her memorial service, wanted to read letters from those who knew her that would be presented at her service…never once encouraging sadness from those around her. Her strength and courage until her last day, this Sunday April 25th, when she passed away at 10:20 am have left a valuable lesson for all of us. LIVE IN THE MOMENT. ENJOY EACH MOMENT. DO NOT DIE WHILE YOU ARE LIVING. God bless her soul and may she rest in peace at God’s abode. Thank you Lynne for being a part of my life.
Another doctor friend who I knew as yet another brave and courageous woman, full of adventure and life, and who survived cancer for almost 15 years was Dr. Manju Goel. She was one fine lady. Her cancer had also spread, but you could not tell how much pain she was in. Our families had gone together on a fun trip to Lake Tahoe a few years ago. I never knew until then how much her body had suffered, and even then that was because she could not put the seat belt on! She was always smiling, following her passion for sketching and painting whenever her heart desired, enjoying life more than those without any disease! She was an unbelievable woman. I am so very glad that I knew her. May she rest in peace. Thank you Manju di for being a part of my life. The flying dolphin, the furry toy dog and the princess box that you gave to my daughter so lovingly are still with her, keeping you in her memory at all times.
My mausi, my mom’s older sister, is yet another cancer patient I have known who did not for a second give up her life to the disease. My mother tells me how she said that she had to take care of her family, get her daughters married and fulfill so many other responsibilities before she was going to let go of her life. She held on to her resolution, took care of every one of those goals before she said good bye to all. She never complained, and never gave up living. May her soul rest in peace. Such a brave, honorable person in the family sure gladdens my heart.
Three wonderful women, all of them strong, determined and full of heart. All of them thrived while living, in spite of what nature had in store for them. None of them even remotely allowed even the smell of death to take away their cheer from life. God bless their souls.
LIFE IS PRECIOUS. LIVE IT. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment